Friday 4 April 2008

Crusaders on stage @ Live Theatre, Newcastle

Following this here link will take you to the site of the estimable New Writing North, specifically their Multimedia page, whereupon you will find a downloadable podcast of a Crusaders platform event held at Newcastle's Live Theatre (Broad Chare, Quayside NE1) on Wednesday March 5 2008. (Alternatively the direct link to the podcast is here.)
I was In Conversation about the book and its background with NWN's terrific director Claire Malcolm and also my Faber editor Lee Brackstone. But I have to say the chief appeal of this audio-nugget is a selection of dramatised bits from Crusaders that were marshalled by Live's artistic director Max Roberts of Live (the first voice you'll hear on the file) and performed by some totally top-drawer North-East actors, including Trevor Fox (as John Gore), Tracy Whitwell (as Lindy Clark), and Deka Walmsley (as Martin Pallister and others...).
The picture to the left, meanwhile, is of myself and the aforementioned Brackstone, between us the customary small token of authorial gratitude that I bestowed upon him at the London launch party for Crusaders. Lee is a West Ham man, but I consider him one of life's centre-forwards, and certainly fit to fill the Shirt of Legends as shown. My understanding, though, is that he'll be framing it rather than wearing it...

No comments: