Tuesday 15 January 2013

Scarfiotti, master builder

Jean-Louis Trintignant in The Conformist (1969)
A couple of years back I mentioned the MFA thesis I submitted to the BFI in 1995, an interview-based study of the life and work of the late production designer Ferdinando Scarfiotti. It was, I hoped then and think now, a decent and useful piece of work, and I was especially grateful to Paul Schrader and Bernardo Bertolucci for their contributions, very evidently made out of the deepest regard for their friend and collaborator.

Anyhow, a few chunks from the thesis have ended up online, here and here, accompanied by some attractive frame-stills. Fine by me, as I'm correctly cited, and otherwise the thesis would have no meaningful afterlife other than for visitors to the BFI Library. Please do look for yourself, and remember one of the most quietly influential figures in twentieth century film style.

No comments: